November 23, 2005

 

Lucky Dog

No one does gratitude better than a dog, so I'm here to give voice to my blessings on the eve of Thanksgiving. Thank you, readers, for coming to visit occasionally and leaving your comments. I suspect that blogging pets and the people who read these blogs are a breed apart, given to more whimsy, generosity and a gentleness of spirit than most others.

I'm also thankful for Blogger.com and all the other blogging spaces on the Web. There are technologists and business people who, for reasons a dog can't quite grasp, set these places out like so much free virtual real estate. The dogs that many of us are, we promptly and unapologetically claim our own territory. We create our own back yards and then turn them into virtual dog parks where other pets can meet one another, at first sizing each other up and then playfully engaging.

For me, dlogging is largely about strolling through the virtual neighborhoods, sniffing through the more interesting posts here and then leaving my own there. It's very doggish, as a recent Mother Goose and Grimm pointed out well.

Most of all, I'm thankful for being a dog, or at least playing at being one. Dogs, after all, are all about play, as well as the other good things in life. Some of my own favorites are eating, dozing, swimming and the long jaunts with Mike and Molly, beloved pack members. I expect I'll do all on Thanksgiving Day. A dog's life is usually simpler and even purer than that of their human partners, lives which seem so filled with stresses and intrigues and unfathomable complications. Being a dog is a priviledge. We have many duties, of course, but in the end our primary one is to remind people of what's most important in life. And, for this, I think they too are thankful.

Comments:
Be thankful that you don't already have
everything you desire.
If you did, what would there be
to look forward to?

Be thankful when you don't know something,
for it gives you the opportunity to learn.

Be thankful for the difficult times.
During those times you grow.

Be thankful for your limitations,
because they give you
opportunities for improvement.

Be thankful for each new challenge,
because it will build
your strength and character.

Be thankful for your mistakes,
they will teach you valuable lessons.

Be thankful when you're tired and weary,
because it means you've made an effort.

It's easy to be thankful for the good things.

A life of rich fulfillment comes to those
who are also thankful for the setbacks.

Gratitude can turn a negative into a positive.

Find a way to be thankful for your troubles,
and they will become your blessings.

Hank may you have a Happy Thanksgiving,
 
That is a very funny cartoon!

Happy Thanksgiving!
 
hank... it shows your humans really love you... happy thanks giving to you and your family. -endo
 
Well said Hank. I hope the humans share their turkey and pumpkin pie with you yesterday. It's easier for us dogs to give thanks on a full stomach. Burp.
 
my vet has some katrina dogs that need homes. Anyone interested they are in Jacksonville Florida.

Dwayne
 
I hope you & your family had a wonderful Thanksgiving. Be careful with that turkey! Mom just tolded me it's got a sleepin drug in it! She shoulda tolded me afore....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
 
Hank,

As usual, you are completely right. I am thankful to have parents who care so much about me that they will go to several different vets, feed me raw chicken, and find a holistic vet, to help me get better. They love me so much that they will do whatever it takes to take care of me. We sure are lucky to have such great humans!
 
I love your dlog. Hopefully it'll be around forever!!!!!
 
Hi Sam,

Thankyou for the poem. It's another thing worth savoring on Thanksgiving.

Hi Kimanda,

Happy Thanksgiving to you, as well. Yes, it's my kind of cartoon.

Hi Endo,

Thanksgiving to you as well, and thanks for keeping up with your fine blog.

Hi Woofwoof,

I couldn't agree more. Luckily, I got more turkey than Molly wanted me to and even a taste of pumpkin pie. A fine day, all in all.

Hi Dwayne,

Thanks very much for the information. I hope any readers in or around Jacksonville will consider what you've said. I'm glad you and others continue to think about the many Katrina pets in the holiday season.

Hi Oreo,

You know, there's so much going on during Thanksgiving, I don't get as much sleep as usual. I sure wish I could sleep, beg, swim and amble all the same time. Only in my dreams.

Hi Indipindy,

You sure sound like you've got it good, dog!

Hi Klaneeko,

Welcome! And thanks very much.

To Everybody,

I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving!
 
Oh my you are a strong doggy!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?